Sunday 4 August 2019

11/04/2019 Week 10 Term One


Weeks 5 to 10, Term One, 2019.


Great to see you're checking back to the WGPS EALD Blog!

This term has seen some changes to the original plan of working with EALD students from Years 1 to 6. 

From Week 5 to Week 10 this term, my focus has been to increase support to our Year 3 and 5 EALD students, in preparation for NAPLAN testing. I will renew work with the EALD students from other years, after NAPLAN testng.

 I have been working with EALD students from Years 3 to 5 to reinforce learning of the unknown vocabulary (or words), that they encounter in texts read in class.

As well as the change of focus onto our Year 3 and 5 students, we have an extra staff member employed to work with EALD students in kindy and pre-primary. I am really pleased that Divya Janarthanan, our new EALD Assistant, is working with these students and I'm sure everyone would join me in welcoming Divya to Wattle Grove PS. Divya is working with Kindy and Pre-primary students to consolidate their use of everyday Australian words. 

In Term 2, Divya will start teaching our EALD kindy students words for items found inside and outside the classroom.

When working with older students, how do we know if they know a word? There are useful descriptions that signal four levels of word knowledge that I like to use with these students. 
  1. I never saw or heard the word before.
  2. I've heard the word, but I don't know what it means.
  3. I recognize the word when it is talked about or used.
  4. I know the word well, can spell it, say what it means (even some different meanings) and can use the word correctly in different sentences. 

Please check the Year 3 and 5 tabs at the top of this page for students' weekly or fortnightly words, definitions and sentences covered this term.














No comments:

Post a Comment